The Golden Globe-winning star of Parks and Recreation and author of Yes Please, out this month, gets serious (sort of) about dispensing advice, from buying a pet to splurging on beauty to mending a broken heart.
1. What brings you the greatest joy? My children, and a nicely toasted English muffin.
2. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given? Don’t buy a parrot, because it will probably outlive you.
3. What charities do you support? WWO (Worldwide Orphans Foundation). I am their arts ambassador.
4. What app do you most often use? The one that helps you become addicted to your phone.
5. What do you wish someone would invent? A phone that destroys all phones.
6. What is your fantasy itinerary? Spend morning in some kind of heroic rescue scenario; nap all afternoon and humbly refuse press; dinner in my backyard at night with friends to celebrate.
7. What book had a profound effect on you? Beauty Fades, Dumb Is Forever by Judge Judy.
8. Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party? The cast of Cheers.
9. What makes you laugh? Videos of water jetpack mishaps.
10. What makes you cry? Videos of soldiers returning home and surprising their kids.
11. What irrational fears do you have? Telemarketers actually don’t want me to have a “great day.”
12. What is your beauty secret? Don’t skimp on your wigs.
13. What do you hope your friends say behind your back? “I am worried Amy is getting too thin.”
14. What advice would you give to someone with a broken heart? Like who likes you.
15. What song instantly puts you in a good mood? “Let’s Go Crazy” by Prince.
16. How did you make your first dollar? With a highly advanced color copier.
17. What do you wish you could stop doing? Making counterfeit money.
18. How do you define success? A good parking space.
19. What should every woman try at least once in her life? Treating herself as kindly as she would her own daughter.
20. How would you like to be remembered? Often, fondly, and loudly.